Philadelphia VIP, the hub of pro bono in Philadelphia, recruits, trains, and supports volunteer attorneys who provide free legal services to low-income clients.
The Outreach Coordinator will build VIP’s long-term capacity to represent low-income clients facing eviction by helping design, implement, and support programs that provide renters facing a scheduled eviction hearing with legal representation from a volunteer attorney.
This is a one-year AmeriCorps VISTA position.
Summary of Duties:
– Develop best practices to serve more tenants through initiatives that engage a critical mass of volunteers.
– Interview new clients to gather necessary information and documents, and assess the legal merit of cases.
– With attorney supervision, provide technical assistance to volunteers and obtain case updates.
– Analyze the existing systems for matching clients with volunteers, and implement strategies to improve case placement.
– Study case placement metrics and volunteer feedback to determine best practices for volunteer outreach.
– Recruit and retain volunteer attorneys in private practice to represent tenants facing eviction, and increase volunteer capacity for long-term participation through repeat engagements.