Organization and Job Overview:
Library Friends groups are independent community groups that support and steward individual neighborhood libraries as well as the Free Library system as a whole. The Friends groups are a vital component of the library system and insuring that we are a community centered institution.
The City of Philadelphia is undergoing a massive investment in its public spaces. Rebuilding Community Infrastructure (Rebuild) is the program that is investing hundreds of millions of dollars to revitalize deteriorating parks, rec centers, and libraries.
In addition to working with the Friends and library staff, the Community Organizer will work with Friends members, reading captains, and Read by 4th staff to help build up community influence, vision, impact, and capacity for this campaign.
– Develop and support Library Friends groups across the city
– Build long-term relationships between the library and neighborhood organizations, stakeholders, and community members
– Providing targeted outreach to non-library users to understand how the library can better serve the needs of that
– Train and supporting staff in their community engagement work
– Work with library staff to create and implement a neighborhood specific community engagement plan
– Working with Friends members, reading captains, parents, and Read by 4th staff to help build up community influence, vision
and capacity for the Read by 4th campaign.