The position is responsible for assisting the Deputy Managing Director for Health & Human Services in ensuring the agencies within the HHS Cabinet fulfill their core missions as well as promoting collaboration among the agencies to foster a person-centered approach to policy and services. The position also assists the Deputy Managing Director to support effective engagement of HHS agencies with other public and private sector stakeholders. Key activities include strategic planning, policy and program development, internal and external partner engagement, and administrative management.
The Chief of Staff reports directly to the Deputy Managing Director and works collaboratively with other key HHS staff members, including an Assistant Deputy Managing Director, Policy Director, Director of Communications, and Executive Assistant.
- Policy and Program Planning: Lead collective impact work to develop a common agenda, measure success, and launch pilot activities around key issue areas and cluster priorities such as housing and youth well-being as well as the development of the annual report of the cluster, Together We Thrive. One example of this work is the Mayor’s Task Force on Eviction Prevention and Response (visit https://www.phila.gov/hhs/accomplishments/Pages/Taskforce.aspx).
- Program Management: Oversee the implementation of new programs to support key goals of the cluster, including the selection and management of contracted providers, program evaluation, program improvement, and moving to scale.
- Supervision: Supervise community engagement efforts including outreach to community partners by providing support around strategic direction, managing obstacles, developing new initiatives, and identifying additional resources. Supervise the recruitment and management of AmeriCorps VISTAs and interns to promote learning about policy and program development while advancing key agency priorities.
- Internal and external communication and partner engagement: Develop communication tools to keep the Mayor’s Office and other parts of City government aware of challenges, recent accomplishments, and new services related to HHS agencies.
- Strategic Alignment: Provider strategic support to the work of the HHS departments, other offices within HHS (such as the Office of Domestic Violence), collaboration with other agency clusters (such as Public Safety and Criminal Justice), and others. Manage working groups and collaborative structures to strengthen relationships, information sharing, and achieve impact.