The Office of City Councilmember Helen Gym, a progressive champion whose work moves at the local and national level, seeks a motivated individual who is committed to public service to serve as Legislative Aide.
The Legislative Aide furthers the work of the Councilmember through legislative and policy initiatives, often in coordination with movement organizing and coalitions.
Summary of Duties:
– Develop and research potential legislation, work with legal staff to analyze and draft bills and resolutions, and meet with relevant stakeholders to promote passage.
– Research and write reports and policy briefs as assigned.
– Assist in preparation of public explanatory materials for legislative/policy initiatives and advocacy campaigns.
– Assist with talking points, floor speeches, and external speeches relating to policy.
– Attend all weekly City Council sessions and committee hearings assigned to the Councilmember.
– Provide support for all hearings under the Councilmember’s committee(s), including managing the agenda, Council attendance and notice, and providing support for review and distribution of written testimony.
– Produce weekly reports summarizing upcoming legislation scheduled in relevant committees and the Thursday Council calendar.
– Track major legislation from other Council offices and keep Councilmember and Chief of Staff apprised of relevant updates.
– Coordinate honorary resolution writing and presentations.
– Formally represent the Councilmember on various committees, task forces, etc. as assigned.
– Complete weekly written reports summarizing meetings attended, pending legislation, major constituent, and ongoing projects.
– Handle constituent cases as needed or assigned.