The Pew Charitable Trusts uses data to make a difference. For more than 70 years, we have focused on serving the public, invigorating civic life, conducting nonpartisan research, advancing effective public policies and practices, and achieving tangible results. Through rigorous inquiry and knowledge sharing, we inform and engage public-spirited citizens and organizations, linking diverse interests to pursue common cause. We are a dedicated team of researchers, communicators, advocates, subject matter experts, and professionals working on some of today’s big challenges.
Through the Philadelphia Program Pew seeks to enhance civic life in its hometown. We partner with many local institutions in encouraging a thriving arts and cultural community, supporting the health and welfare of the region’s most vulnerable residents, informing discussion on important issues facing the city, and, more broadly, strengthening Philadelphia’s appeal to visitors and residents alike.
The Philadelphia research initiative produces timely, well-documented and highly readable reports and issue briefs on issues facing Philadelphia for the benefit of decision makers, the news media and the public at large. Topics come from a number of subject areas including demographic trends, government performance and innovation, tax and fiscal policy, K-12 education, economic development and job creation, and public safety. In addition, the initiative performs research in conjunction with the Philadelphia Policy Exchange, designed to stimulate focused conversations among policymakers and policy influencers on a range of issues. Those issues include, but are not limited to, evaluating tax incentives, improving tax collections, managing revenue volatility through rainy day funds, strengthening public sector retirement systems, delivering cost-effective corrections services, and reducing opioid abuse.
The Senior Associate reports to the Manager, Philadelphia Research Initiative. The Senior Associate’s job is to help conceptualize, design and complete research and analysis on key issues affecting the city of Philadelphia.
Summary of duties:
– compile and maintain datasets from various sources that may be used in research projects, perform first-level analysis of data, and conduct general background research on issues, including literature reviews and media scans.
– Assist senior staff with reports, briefs, and web analyses. When appropriate, take the lead on producing shorter pieces.
– Monitor and identify emerging urban policy issues that are relevant to Philadelphia. Help prepare internal documents to for researchers and senior staff to track and assess issues for further research.
– Collaborate on drafting internal documentation of projects and contracts with outside providers or consultants, as needed. Help manage contractors, as needed.
– Help catalog, index, and preserve the initiative’s data holdings. Assist in creating and maintaining a data-management plan. Proactively identify new or unexplored datasets that may reveal fresh angles or insights.
– Contribute to and participate in broader Pew-related projects and activities.
– Help organize Philadelphia Policy Exchange events, sometimes working with outside partners, in order to engage policymakers and bring attention to Pew’s work.
– Assist in efforts to maintain contact with policymakers to ascertain their priorities and to increase their awareness of and input into Pew’s work.
– Participate in conferences, seminars and other professional development activities to keep current on a broad range of urban policy issues.
The position has a set time frame that could be extended based on the success of the program, funding sources, and board decisions on continued support.