Philadelphia is an incredible place to build a career. From our thriving arts scene and rich history to our culture of passion and grit, there are countless reasons to love living and working here.
The Managing Director’s Office (MDO) manages and oversees the operations of the City, including the Rebuild initiative (Rebuild).
Rebuild is an MDO initiative to improve physical conditions in selected parks, recreation centers, and libraries. In addition to revitalizing neighborhood public spaces, Rebuild is focused on using funded projects to empower and engage with community members and to promote economic opportunity for diverse businesses and individuals.
The Deputy Director, Design & Construction will manage and direct the design and construction team and activities required to implement Rebuild projects. The position must perform work in close coordination with Philadelphia Parks & Recreation, Free Library of Philadelphia, Department of Public Property, Water Department, non-profits and other governmental and non-governmental partners.
Summary of Duties:
– Collaborate with stakeholders to determine the scopes of work, schedule, and budget for each Rebuild site.
– Direct and oversee a team of design and construction project managers who are directly managing Rebuild projects.
– Manage completion of design standards for Rebuild projects.
– Continue development and implementation of a design excellence program for Rebuild.
– Continue to oversee and develop approval paths for Rebuild projects (e.g., Water Department, Art Commission, Licenses & Inspections) and establish target timelines for approval processes.
– Determine project sequencing and management to ensure timely completion in coordination with stakeholders.
– Work with Rebuild Senior Management to and ensure that projects reflect the priorities of neighborhood residents and users, coordinate on-the-job training opportunities, ensure funding and personnel are managed efficiently.
– Work closely with the non-profit entities managing large-scale Rebuild projects.
– Work closely with owner’s representatives to complete onboarding of a project management system.
– Develop and oversee Request for Proposals (RFPs) to select consultants for owner’s representatives, architects, landscape architects, engineers and construction managers.
– Assist in the development and management of consultant contracts.
– Oversee and coordinate non-profit grant application process with Operations Manager.
– Oversee the selection process of the non-profits to lead projects.
– Review and approve all scope of work plans.
– Assist in regularly providing project progress information for Rebuild project reports for various audiences.