Philadelphia is an incredible place to build a career. From our thriving arts scene and rich history to our culture of passion and grit, there are countless reasons to love living and working here. With a workforce of over 30,000 people, and more than 1,000 different job categories, the City of Philadelphia offers boundless opportunities to make an impact.
Working with five Cabinet-level Deputies, operational oversight is divided into specific departmental clusters: Health and Human Services, Community and Culture, Community Services, Public Safety and Criminal Justice, and Transportation and Infrastructure. The Community Services cluster oversees a number of outward-facing programs that provide services directly to the public. These offices and programs focus on enhancing quality of life and improving how citizens engage with their communities and their city government.
This position works within the Community Services Cluster “SERVE Philly Community Services Program”.
The Community Organizer is a position intended to lead efforts, align programs and leverage partnerships. This individual plays a critical role in engaging low-income community members in long term community improvement projects. Specifically, this individual will be responsible for providing community-based support for the SERVE Philly Program within the Community Service Cluster. Reporting directly to the Community Organizer Coordinator, this individual works with community members to identify community needs, attends meetings, recruits local volunteers and is responsible for building trust in the community.
Summary of Duties:
– Develop, contribute and assist the implementation of community outreach and engagement plans to reach vulnerable communities.
– Attend community meetings and events to provide information about and promote Community Services Cluster.
– Implement and support SERVE Philly team organizing educational and outreach materials.
– Build relationships through one on one meetings with residents and community stakeholders.
– Develop, promote and maintain effective relations with key influencers and a variety of community organizations and partner agencies.
– Manage and develop engagement and outreach metrics.
– Recruit and manage volunteers for projects.
– Perform general outreach to area such as canvassing, and promotion of marketing materials.
– Gather service requests from community and report them to 311 as needed, and follow up with community regarding service requests.