The Pennsylvania Horticultural Society (PHS) plays an essential role in the vitality of the Philadelphia region by creating healthier living environments, increasing access to fresh food, growing economic opportunity, and building deeper social connections between people.
PHS Healthy Neighborhoods team delivers this impact through comprehensive greening and engagement initiatives in more than 250 neighborhoods. Together with community partners, PHS carefully designs projects that build on neighborhood strengths and aspirations to use greening to improve the environment, health and quality of life in their communities. To increase a healthy, diverse and resilient tree canopy in southeastern Pennsylvania, PHS educates residents on tree care and facilitates volunteer tree planting and stewardship.
The Associate Director, Trees is responsible for promoting and ensuring successful implementation of all operations of the PHS Trees team. This position leads the development and delivery of tree education, planting and stewardship activities in the City of Philadelphia and surrounding region. The Associate Director, Trees will effectively manage the team and provide strategic leadership to build on existing program strengths, streamline operations and increase impact.
Summary of duties:
– Supervise the PHS Tree Tenders program and improve the existing model.
– Work with team to execute Tree Tenders program activities.
– Work with Vice President of Healthy Neighborhoods and Tree Team to design and implement strategies to increase Tree Tenders participation in priority communities.
– Supervise the planning, implementation, and evaluation of community tree plantings and riparian tree plantings.
– Oversee the procurement of trees, supplies, permitting and removal of pavement for tree planting.
– Supervise the planning, implementation, and evaluation of tree stewardship activities, including structural pruning, pit care, and collection of data related to the survival rate, growth, and health of trees planted through PHS programs.
– Define clearly articulated goals and strategy for PHS’s role in increasing the region’s tree canopy.
– Oversee project and grant budgets, facilitating invoice processing. Work with Vice President of Healthy Neighborhoods to prepare and manage annual budget.
– Coordinate with staff and PHS Marketing and Communications team to develop and implement communications and engagement strategies.
– Coordinate in collaboration to develop fundraising strategies including individual donor cultivation, crowd-sourced fundraising, and foundation and corporation funding.